A printer can stop printing due to paper jams, no ink, incompatible settings of the printer, etc. So, first of all, you have to check if the cables are defective or not. If you haven’t yet updated the firmware or software, then it can lead to such problems.
Here, we have gathered some tried and tested fixes to bring your printer back to the working state from printer not printing state.
4 Reliable Fixes to Resolve Printer Not Printing Issue
If you are thinking ‘Why is my printer not printing, then the first thing you need to check if the devices are properly connected. Also, check out if the connecting cable is working fine.
You may restart the devices and the printer. Then, again connect them. If this basic troubleshooting is not working, then try all these fixes given below in the exact sequence provided.
Fix 1: Check the Status of your Printer
It is very common, HP printer not working when they run out of ink. The same condition applies when there is not enough paper in the printer or paper jam that has taken place. Let’s see what you can do primarily to fix your printer.
- Open up the paper tray and look if there is enough paper to print. If not, then place papers on the input paper tray.
- Also, check out if there is any paper jammed or stuck inside the printer. If yes, then remove the stuck paper.
- Check out if the toner is empty. If it has enough ink, shake the toner to redistribute the ink all over the toner.
- If there is not enough ink, then replace the toner with a new one. You can install a new toner with the help of the user manual of your printer.
After you have arranged all these preliminary things related to your printer, you can now start printing. If the issue still persists, then you have to go through the fixes given below.
Fix 2: Set the Printer As Default
If you have applied the first fix and still the printer is not printing, then you should try this one. Make sure that your printer is set as default. Check out the steps below to establish the printer as the default one, connected to your computer.
- Press the Windows and R keys at the same time, this will launch a Run dialog box. Type ‘control’ and click the OK button. This will open up the Control Panel.
- Locate the “Devices and Printers” option inside the Control Panel and select it.
- Choose your printer under the Printers section and right-click on your printer.
- Next, choose the ‘Set as default printer’ option from the drop-down menu.
- Confirm the Prompt with the Yes option.
Observe if you can see a tick below the icon of your printer. This tick means that this printer is now set as a default printer.
Fix 3: Quit Every Print Jobs
There are great chances that the print queue getting stuck in your printer. This can lead to the issue of printer not printing. You simply need to clear the print queue so that the printer can normally print. Let’s go through the process.
- Open up a Run box just by pressing the Windows and R key, simultaneously. Type ‘control’ in the Open box and hit Enter.
- You can now notice the Control Panel window. Explore the “Devices and Printers” option from the Control Panel.
- You have to right-click on your printer under the Printers section. Choose the ‘See what’s printing’ option from the context menu.
- Choose the Printer tab and select the ‘Open As Administrator’ option.
- Again you have to click on the Printer tab. This time, you have to select the ‘Cancel All Documents’.
- Choose the Yes option from the prompt box.
All the print jobs should be canceled now. Check out if you can print through your printer.
Fix 4: Update the Printer Driver
Maybe, the driver of your printer has become incompatible with the operating system of the device. You should update the printer’s driver.
- Go to the official website of the printer’s brand.
- Look out for the Driver update. Mention the printer module and the operating system of the device.
- Check out if any update is available for that particular printer driver.
Now, try printing using the printer. If the error still persists, it’s better to reinstall the driver. For that, you have to firstly, uninstall the driver. Next, you have to look for the latest printer driver according to the printer model and the operating system.
Hopefully, you have found a solution for your printer not printing issue. If not, then please consider seeking help from an expert.