HP printers generally work fine but it can exhibit certain glitches at any time. One of the most common errors that users report is when they find the HP printer offline. This error can be quite annoying when you are working with the HP printer on full-fledge.
This situation mostly occurs while working on network printers. But the users who are not using these specific printers have also alleged the same issue. Whatever the reason be, let’s check out the fixes for resolving the situation where the HP printer is offline on Windows 10.
Solutions to Try if my HP Printer is Offline
Before you proceed to the technical solutions, you must be aware of the underlying cause of this error. So, if your question is ‘why does my hp printer keep going offline?’, examine all the connections and printer components.
First, make sure that there is a secure connection between the computer and the HP printer. Check out all the connections and then proceed to the below fixes if it doesn’t work.
Fix 1: Adjust the Settings of the HP Printer
Mostly, your printer is offline due to very basic reasons. You should consider this as the first solution to fix this issue. Go through the steps cited below.
- Fetch the Control Panel window. Next, navigate to the Printer section.
- Check out if the HP printer is set as the default printing device. If yes, right-click on your printer and click the ‘See what’s printing’ option.
- Remove all the unfinished print tasks if you find any. After that, go to the Printer tab. Ensure that you uncheck the option named ‘Use Printer Offline’.
If everything is OK, again check the connection between the device and the printer. In addition to this, you can reboot the printer along with the computer. Then try to reconnect them.
Fix 2: Restart the Print Spooler
If the previous hack does not work then you should try this hack. Many HP users get a direct benefit from this simple but effective solution.
- Press and hold the Windows and R keys to launch the Run dialog box. Fill it with ‘services.msc’ and choose the OK option.
- Browse the ‘Services’ window and locate the service named ‘Print Spooler’.
- Right-click on the Print Spooler service.
Check if the issue resolves after the service restarts. If not, then we have many fixes left for you to solve the issue.
Fix 3: Check the Properties of HP Printer
Use this relatively simpler fix to resolve the HP printer offline error. Here goes the procedure.
- Explore your recent HP printer from the ‘Devices and Printers’ section under Control Panel.
- Right-click on your printer. Click the ‘Printer Properties’ from the drop-down menu.
- Next, go to the tab named ‘Ports’. Pick up the IP address of the HP printer. After that, you need to opt for the ‘Configure Port’ option.
- Make sure that you uncheck the ‘SNMP Status Enabled’ option.
Finally, tap the OK button to execute the configuration.
Fix 4: Reinstall the Printer
If the issue hasn’t resolved yet, you might need to remove and reinstall the HP printer. This fix will troubleshoot the internal errors in the connection between the computer and the printer.
- From Control Panel, navigate to the section named ‘Devices and Printers’.
- Next, locate the HP printer.
- Right-click on that particular printer.
- Opt for the ‘Remove Device’ option.
- Once the printer is disconnected, restart both the devices.
Then you need to connect these devices again. Here, you will get the option of ‘Add a printer’ from the same ‘Devices and Printers’ option.
Fix 5: Reinstall Printer Drivers
If none of the above fixes is making your HP printer online, you might have to reinstall the printer drivers. For a manual reinstallation process, follow the guidelines mentioned below.
- Navigate to the ‘Devices and Printers’.
- Find out the problematic printer. Right-click over the HP printer.
- Opt for the ‘Remove’ option from the drop-down menu.
Confirm the prompt with the ‘Yes’ option. Once the device is removed, you have to manually reinstall the printer driver. Make sure that you download the drivers according to the HP printer module and the Operating System of your computer.
Again, add the printer with the computer. Now, check whether you find the HP printer offline on Windows 10.
Fix 6: Get the Newest Updates
Often, users may observe their HP printer is offline due to the unavailability of recent updates on the Windows system. If the system has missed any of the updates, you can manually get the Windows Update by using the guidelines.
- Press Windows and I keys at the same time. This will initiate the Settings app.
- Proceed to the ‘Update and Security’ section.
- Choose the ‘Check for Updates’ option.
Windows will now automatically check if any updates are available. When the task completes, check whether the HP printer is still offline.
Fix 7: Add Another Printer
When nothing is working for making the HP printer online, you can connect another printing machine to the computer. So, go through the below steps.
- Firstly, you have to remove the connected printer. So, go to the ‘Devices and Printers’ section from the Control Panel.
- Right-click on your printer and choose the ‘Remove’ option. Navigate to the ‘Ports’ tab.
- Next, proceed with the ‘Add Port’ button. Opt for the ‘Standard TCP/IP Port’ followed by the ‘New Port’ option.
- Click the ‘Next’ button. Provide the necessary information as asked on the screen. Then click the Next button.
The newly connected printer should work fine when you connect it to a wireless or Ethernet network.
So, your HP printer can turn offline if you are using a VPN connection. Hence, ensure that you are not using any VPN connection. Moreover, to deal with this situation, plug in a USB cable to your printer and connect it to the computer instead of the wireless connection.
Otherwise, alter the settings related to VPN. Hopefully, with the help of this guide, you will turn your printer status online again.